Season starts on 23 March 2019
Wellington Rugby has announced that the Swindale and Harper Lock Shield competitions will kick off on 23 March, with Marist St Pats to host our neighbours Poneke in the opening round.
There have been a number of changes to this years Swindale Shield to allow the Premier competition to finish ahead of an early Mitre 10 Cup (due to Rugby World Cup).
Key changes include:
- Clubs are split into two pools based on their results at the end of 2018
- Clubs play a total of ten matches; six against the other teams in their pool as well as four crossover matches.
- Clubs will not play three other clubs in the Swindale Shield
- The crossover matches were decided by a set formula that removed the need for clubs to pick who they did/didn't want to play. The formula makes it as equitable as possible for all clubs when playing crossover matches.
- One overall points table so clubs and fans know where their team stands in the race for the Jubilee Cup
- The season starts one week later, finishes one week earlier, and has no mid-week or double-header rounds